Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

HOW TO MAKE CUTE POLKA DOT BABY CHICKS

What is cuter than polka dots, babies and chicks? POLKA DOT BABY CHICKS.



WHAT YOU NEED:
  • sugar cookie dough
  • baby chick cookie cutter
  • royal icing tinted: white, purple, orange, black, green
  • icing bags: disposable or not (sometimes I use a ziplock and cut a TINY hole in the corner of the bag)
  • decorating squeeze bottle
  • tips: #1, #3

** You can use any cookie recipe you like. My personal favorite sugar cookie recipe is from I AM BAKER  found here in her rose cookie tutorial:  http://iambaker.net/rose-cookie-tutorial

** My favorite royal icing recipe is from The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle: http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/04/royal-icing-101-or-all-roads-lead-to-rome/
(PS Royal Icing can be your BFF or your worst enemy. The trickiest part is getting the correct consistency. I am still figuring it out.)

DIRECTIONS:
  • Roll out dough, cut out chicks and bake.
  • Make and tint your royal icing.
  • Once cookies have cooled, time to decorate!
1. Start off by outlining chick with purple royal icing # 3 tip.


2. FLOOD chick with thin consistency purple icing. An easy way to do this is fill the squeeze bottle with the icing and literally flood the cookie with icing. The outline of thicker icing will keep the royal icing in its place. Don't worry if the icing did not spread to all corners because...

3. You can use a toothpick to push icing to all corners of the cookie.

                                            
4. While chick is still WET, add dots of white icing. (#3 tip) You can use any color or multiple colors. Get crazy!

 5. Don't forget to add a beak and legs. (#1 tip)

 6. At last, add a dot for an eye. (#1 tip) Once cookie dries, it can be stacked on top of other cookies without ruining the icing. The beauty of royal icing!

All done! K, have to decorate more cookies !

4 comments:

  1. These are cute beyond belief. That's it; I'm sending this to my sister-in-law...
    Great job, Emily!!!
    Kathy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi emily!
    I am the sister-in-law (Alison's Auntl Leslie) !
    These are so clever and ... too cute to eat.
    I think I will make some for Kathy for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily this is awesome! I am so excited about your blog. You rock and I love you!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete